Eat, Drink, Shop
Recipe: Chunky lentil dahl
We've put together a selection of good value, easy to cook recipes for you, that feed four people. Use the video to cook along, or you can follow the steps below.
Take it in turns with your housemates to cook for each other and enjoy sharing a meal together. You'll also save energy by batch cooking rather than all making your meals separately.
- 250g dried lentils
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 bag of white rice
- Seasoning: salt, curry powder and chilli
- Fry the lentils in a tablespoon of oil. Add the curry powder, coconut milk and tin of tomatoes. Refill the can with water and add this too.
- Simmer for 15 minutes with a pinch of salt (adding salt at the start of cooking means you will need less, and you get a better taste).
- Add the spinach and cook for another five minutes until the lentils are tender and the spinach is wilted.
- Adjust seasoning and consistency to your taste.
- Boil a medium pan of water and add the rice. Stir for a few minutes, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 12 to 15 minute
Serve with nan bread or poppadums and mango chutney.
Dhal is easy to freeze if you make a larger batch, and will keep for a maximum of three months.
Do not freeze the rice and only reheat rice once.
See more of our recipes here.
- Read Next
- Tuesday Tea and Chat Crafting on Campus for International Women's Day Crafting in the City for International Woman's Day Guided Walk to Prior Park Our LGBTQ+ accommodation Trip to Frome Market Bob Ross Paint-A-Long on Campus Bob Ross Paint-A-Long in the City Cooking Class: Sushi Making Salsa Class
- Finding your community at Bath Finding housing for second year and beyond Weather in Bath Battle of the supermarkets Laundry 101: A step-by-step guide My top 5 favourite foods on campus Favourite student-friendly places to eat in Bath A peek into Eastwood Green Getting around campus Things to do in Bath for Free